SPORTS

Monthly Archives: SEPTEMBER 2017


After Long And Careful Deliberation
JP Duminy, South Africa all-rounder, announces retirement
16.09.17 - TEAM PT
JP Duminy, South Africa all-rounder, announces retirement



South African batsman Jean-Paul Duminy has announced his retirement from Tests and first-class cricket with immediate effect. The 33-year-old, who has been often criticized for not living up to his potential in the longest format, had debuted for South Africa’s Test team in 2008.

"I certainly know that my playing career is far from over, and my hope is that with the backing of Cricket South Africa, the WSB Cape Cobras, teammates, family, friends and supporters, I will be given the opportunity to continue to give my very best to the sport that I love dearly,” Duminy told Independent Media.
 
Duminy, who was dropped from the Test team after the first match at Lord's in the four-match series against England in July earlier this year, decided to focus on limited-overs cricket hereafter, opting out of the opening round of first-class fixtures.
 
"After long and careful deliberation, I have decided to retire from first-class and Test match cricket with immediate effect. I have thoroughly enjoyed the privilege and opportunity to represent my country in 46 Tests and the WSB Cape Cobras in 108 first-class matches overs the past 16 years. It is an experience that cannot be replaced and one I will always cherish," read the Cricket South Africa media release release.
 
Duminy has been plagued by issues both on the field and off the field in 2017. Before the start of the 10th edition of the Indian Premier League, the left-hander, who played for Delhi Daredevils since 2014 announced that he would not play in the tournament due to "personal reasons.”

On the field, Duminy endured a torrid time in. Against New Zealand in 2017, the South Africa all-rounder struggled with the bat in all formats. He performed well against Sri Lanka in Tests but once again failed to make an impact in the limited-overs format.

During the series against England, the pressure for Duminy to hang on to his Test spot grew, with skipper Faf du Plessis admitting that the left-hander was "under pressure”. After managing only 17 runs in the first two Tests, Duminy was released from the South Africa squad as the Proteas lost the series 3-1.
 
"In the years ahead, my focus will be placed on attaining limited-overs cricket success for South Africa and the WSB Cape Cobras, along with attending to my young family, who have been incredibly supportive and understanding. I will however not be lost to first-class cricket; I have offered my services to the WSB Cape Cobras and the coaching staff as a mentor/consultant and will be involved as they see fit. There are many talented youngsters coming through our domestic system and I would love to help where I can. I've had the privilege of working with the squad in this role over the last two weeks and I have thoroughly enjoyed it," said Duminy.
 
Ever since making his Test debut in 2008 against Australia, Duminy has featured in 46 Tests and has scored 2103 runs, including six hundreds and eight half-centuries. Moreover, Duminy will continue to play one-day and T20 cricket for the Cobras and the national team. Also, he will be leading the Cape Town Knight Riders in the inaugural edition of T20 Global League.




[home] 1-3 of 3


Comment

your name*

email address*

comments*
You may use these HTML tags:<p> <u> <i> <b> <strong> <del> <code> <hr> <em> <ul> <li> <ol> <span> <div>

verification code*
 



Lucky Escape
Suresh Raina escapes major accident while driving
12.09.17 - TEAM PT
Suresh Raina escapes major accident while driving



Veteran Indian batsman Suresh Raina survived an accident scare after the tyre of a Range Rover he was travelling in, burst near Etawah on Tuesday. This was established by DSP Rajesh Kumar Singh who also confirmed that Raina was behind the wheels at the time of the incident. However, he escaped unhurt.
 
The Police said that despite the accident, Raina did not suffer any injuries. It was learnt that if the car would have travelled at high speed, it would have created major problems for the Uttar Pradesh batsman.
 
According to reports, the incident took place at 2.a.m on Tuesday, when Raina, captain of India Blue in Duleep Trophy, was travelling from Ghaziabad to Kanpur, where his team will play India Red and India Green in the coming week.

The car did not have a spare tyre, and the 30-year-old was stranded until the locals informed the police, after which the police brought him another car.
 
Raina last played for India in a T20 match against England earlier this year, whereas his previous appearance in an ODI and a Test came in 2015.
 
One of the reasons why Raina has been out of the selectors' radar is because the left-hander failed to clear to the 'Yo-Yo' endurance test which is considered as one of the major parameters to judge a player's fitness.

The 'Yo-Yo' endurance test is an advanced version of the 'beep' test that was used by teams of earlier generations. The current Indian team is considered to be the fittest by a fair distance.

It has been learnt that for the current Indian team, the acceptable 'Yo-Yo' score is 19.5 and upwards. Captain Virat Kohli, easily the fittest Indian cricketer, scores around 21 in the test.

However, Raina had scored well below the permissible level of 19.5 which is the biggest reason for his ouster.
 
Both of India Blue’s games will be held at the Green Park Stadium, Kanpur, which will be followed by the final at Lucknow, starting on September 25.




[home] 1-3 of 3


Comment

your name*

email address*

comments*
You may use these HTML tags:<p> <u> <i> <b> <strong> <del> <code> <hr> <em> <ul> <li> <ol> <span> <div>

verification code*
 



Roelant Oltmans sacked as head coach of Indian hockey team
02.09.17 - TEAM PT
Roelant Oltmans sacked as head coach of Indian hockey team



Hockey India (HI) on Saturday sacked chief coach of the Indian men's team Roelant Oltmans for the country's poor show at the World League Semi-Final. The governing body of Indian hockey arrived at the decision at its three-day review meeting. India had finished sixth in the tournament, which is a qualifier for next year's World Cup. India however, have already qualified for the showpiece event on the basis of being the host nation.
 
Oltmans, who was initially appointed as a High Performance manager in 2013, became the head coach after Dutchman Paul Van Ass left controversially in 2015.
The Indian hockey federation thus maintained its record of firing international coaches intermittently. It started with Australian legend Ric Charlesworth and the list includes Spaniard Jose Brasa and Australians Michael Nobbs and Terry Walsh.

The decision to sack Roelant Oltmans was taken by Hockey India on Saturday. Current High Performance Director David John will take over as the interim coach. India will be hosting the final of the FIH Hockey World League in December this year in Odisha. India will also host the World Cup in 2018.
 
Harbinder Singh, the chairman of Hockey India’s selection committee, said the decision to sack Oltmans was taken after a review of India’s performance in 2016-17. India’s next major international assignment will be the Asia Cup in Bangladesh from October 11-22.

Singh said India’s performance in the Hockey World League semifinal in London in June was disappointing. India finished sixth in the tournament after losing 3-2 to a resilient Canadian side. The win enabled Canada to book a World cup ticket.

"To make results a reality, we need to make hard decisions for the greater good of the future of hockey in India. The current format of coaching was not showing results beyond a certain level,” said Harbinder Singh at the end of a high-profile meeting in Delhi where several top Indian players, including Khel Ratna Sardar Singh, PR Sreejesh and Manpreet Singh took part.
 
While Oltmans' role in improving the teams' overall fitness and cohesiveness was appreciated, the committee felt performance of the team wasn't consistent or up to the desired levels.

High Performance Director David John will be in charge till a suitable replacement is found for a smooth transition of the men's team. David is primarily a fitness trainer and has worked with the men's team before and during the London Olympics in 2012.




[home] 1-3 of 3


Comment

your name*

email address*

comments*
You may use these HTML tags:<p> <u> <i> <b> <strong> <del> <code> <hr> <em> <ul> <li> <ol> <span> <div>

verification code*
 







MOST VISITED
YOU MAY LIKE

TOPIC CLOUD

TAGS CLOUD

ARCHIVE



Copyright © 2016-2017







NEWS LETTER