Advised by the telecom regulator, Reliance Jio on Thursday said it will withdraw the three months complimentary benefits of Jio Summer Surprise, "as soon as operationally feasible, over the next few days".
"Today, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has advised Jio to withdraw the three months' complimentary benefits of Jio Summer Surprise," the company statement said.
"Jio accepts this decision. Jio is in the process of fully complying with the regulator's advice, and will be withdrawing the three months complimentary benefits of Jio Summer Surprise as soon as operationally feasible, over the next few days," the statement added.
The Summer Surprise offer was announced by Jio on March 31. The offer was available to all those who had subscribed to the Jio Prime membership, priced at Rs 99 per year, and had done a recharge of Rs 303 or more on their Jio number. The offer effectively gave Jio users another three months of free Jio service.
Importantly, Reliance Jio on Thursday noted that those who have already subscribed to the Summer Surprise offer will get it. It's just that the offer is no longer open to new users. "All customers who have subscribed to JIO SUMMER SURPRISE offer prior to its discontinuation will remain eligible for the offer," noted Jio.
As part of the Summer Surprise offer, which Reliance chairman Mukesh Ambani had called shagun offer, Jio had said that consumers will get the same service that they were getting as part of the Happy New Year, which in itself was a continuation of the Welcome Offer that Jio provided users when it went live with the service in September last year. This means Summer Surprise offer provided users with 1GB free data every day along with free calls and messages another 3 months. The recharge they Jio users had done to avail the offer was supposed to be used only after the completion of the three months.
The Jio Happy New Year offer expired on March 31. However, Ambani said that the company had witnessed great rush for the Jio Prime membership and hence he extended the deadline to subscribe to Prime until April 15, along with continuing the free service until April 15.
Incumbent players such as Airtel and Idea Cellular have moved the telecom tribunal against regulator TRAI for letting the new operator continue the promotional offer beyond the stipulated 90 days. They have also questioned the free offers on the ground that it violates the floor of 14 paise per minute set in the form of call termination charges.